Home Forum General Ashes to Ashes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Tybee

So has this sport died? Hell even I don’t do it anymore. I SUP a lot locally with fun trips to JAX and Cocoa whenever its clean. My skis gather dust in the corner like silent totems from a long gone civilization. It bums me out a bit. OK maybe more than a bit.

Laker

I tend to believe that the forum has died , nearly anyway , not the riding of the waveski. I still go out nearly every time there are waves hereabouts , Great Lakes inconsistency not withstanding. I cannot verify my belief because I am an army of 1 here. I would be glad to hear from Florida , California and Gulf waveskiers – if they still exist …?

Scooterboy

Oh, I’m hard at it when the weather allows. I love it, what can I say.
      Yes, everybody seems to be doing some SUP riding, it seems to be the latest rage. Diluting the participants.
      But I don’t think the sport has died.
      I’m sort of like Laker, an army of 1. But I know there are other waveskiers around the area, we just don’t seem to gather at the same spots.
      It would be nice to here from some of the past contributors though.
      Kevin in Nova Scotia

Laker

Steve Boehne told me in an email yesterday that he is building more skis than ever lately. Maybe that San Onofre cadre of waveski riders has grown. I have no way of determining the health of the sport elsewhere , but I was glad to hear that Steve is cranking out Infinity Skis.

Scooterboy

In other places in the world it is growing if not holding steady.
      France for instance is a hot bed, Spain much the same, South Africa and Aussie land.
      Things just take trends it seems. Take longboards for instance, they had a bit of a lull. And windsurfing as well, with the onset of kite boarding.
      Maybe people are just out doin’ it, rather than chatting about it? I dunno.
      Laker, the ice must be gone by now I hope.
      Kevin

Laker

Ice is long gone. Very mild winter compared to the last 2 years , longest layoff was about 6 weeks as compared to 5 months(!) 2 years ago. Good surf activity this spring , including yesterday. It will go flat soon ; early summer usually produces zero.

ramon
      Participant

laker…………I try and do it one day(hour) at a time as my body allows. I’d do it alot more
      if I could…..today was a fun one……..usually the hour is spent getting my paddling form back. I may get two days skipping one in the middle and then something happens and I have to start all
      over…..maybe in a week or three. But I was able to try some FFins thrusters I reshaped so I could get the center fin more ff a lil more………wow………what a difference they are. A lil under 3″ now w a different outline but they hold and are much more maneuverable. I’ll post a pic

in the next day or two……hopefully w get to try them again tomorrow……….r

Laker

Hello Ramon —
      Just read your post. Sorry , been preoccupied with total knee replacement 4 weeks ago.

I know , I know – this thread has wandered to geriatric reports , but so what? The site is still up , and we may as well post something , eh?

Almost a month since your post Ramon. How is progress? It is great that you can rehab in the water ; I am stuck in a gym 3 times per week. As to fins and fin placement , it never ceases to amaze me how incredibly sensitive the waveski is to fins. It took me a LOT of trial and error to get it right with the 9’10” custom Stinger Boehne made for me. I began to think that the big ski just wold not power through a bottom turn or through a cutback , but it was all me & fins. I had shaped a 5″ cutaway with minimal rake – it was loose but offered no power at all. I settled into a single 4″ of conventional shape , and let the rail concave do most of the work when driving through a bottom turn.

I have not tried to get onto the ski since the knee. I have managed 108 degrees of flex so far ; I doubt that that is sufficient for waveski surfing. I am halfway through rehab – which , by the way , is no day at the beach!!! In a couple of weeks I will attempt a paddle ; I will let the throngs of readers here know how that goes. In mid summer the family spends 10 days at an inland lake. I own a 21 ft deep vee power boat with an inboard V-8 , a real wave generator. My plan is to tow behind the boat on a ski and crank off the 2 1/2 ft wake – that will be a fun way to recondition and prepare for the late summer/fall surf season.

OK , the next guy can have his turn …

ramon
      Participant

it doesn’t matter about the age just the will to continue. So you had one knee done now. What about the other? With my quad issue(muscle, tendons or ligaments scan didn’t show any problem,,ha ha) I don’t have control of the range, intensity or movement in the water like you can get at the gym or on land. Waves are powerful. Even just paddling out. Glad to hear you are up and about.
      I’ll post the pics this week. The board I did it on has a good edge(added by me) w bevel and concave and I think that can help since my thrusters are sub 3″ now. It really is trial and error for placement( I’m talking about the really sweet spot where things are almost effortless) Here is a you tube link that just came out of a Infinity I think pivoting all over on almost just a swell.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl5RrWPW3HE

I’m referring to the guy on the orange ski. He may have a rudder on that too…maybe that’s why he can snap it around like that. I was out one day w Dennis St. Caire and he did a really neat snap turn..the board was 9.5′ or 10.5′ long..after that I nick named him “cable guy”…r

r

Laker

Ramon –

The long Ski in the video was definitely a rudder ski as you suspected. I had one for a month or two … thought I’d really like it but did not grow into it. The turns were really snappy ; I didn’t know what to do with my arms and paddle when turning. I think that the rudder ski is a much better craft in ocean swell period than here , where 7 – 10 seconds is max. I need to be able to pivot and take off on very short notice. With the rudder ski you need to develop forward momentum , then turn with the rudder , all of which takes time. A long rudder ski would be great for cruising between various reef breaks with long swell period.

Your quad – I now appreciate how very important that muscle and associated ligaments are to leg function. My phy. therapy is heavily quad based. How are you doing with that? Better , I hope.

I would enjoy seeing photos of your fin arrangement. I hope you can find waves to yourself with the summer hordes arriving.

Laker

Bott2010

Hey Tybee if you have a short waveski you want to get rid of I am in the market for one.

Laker

Care for a Clyde Beatty Waveskate , 7’6″ ?

Tybee

Both of my skis are about 8′. One J-Bay which is a blast in Florida waves and a G-Force which is a blast in anything. I am about 5′ 11″ and 170 lbs.

kayakeradams

Tybee, I’m posting late but wanted to let you know there’s a group of 5 or 6 of us in Jacksonville that go out whenever there’s a ridable wave. We have a lot of fun and enjoy our skis. There’s also Steve Bott in fernadina beach. We’ve had a couple of sanctioned contests recently. In October we have a camp n surf weekend at Hanna Park. This will be our 4th year. Last but not least Several Riordan (GA Animal) just got back from competing in the World Waveski Championship in Portugal. Come down and join us anytime. Wavesking as a sport/recreation is still alive.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.