Home Forum General First rides of the season

This topic contains 11 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Scooterboy 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Scooterboy

The swell was small, the fog could be cut with a knife, but the water was not as cold as I had thought.
    There were a few familiar faces at my local haunt in the evening (4).
    I caught a few rides on the ski.
    The first rides of the year…..
    It’s good to be in the water again.

I hope everybody else has a good year.
    Kevin in Nova Scotia

Laker

Good to hear from you! You and I have very different spring seasons. Ours starts with ice out , and shuts when the warm spring weather arrives. The combination of warm moist air mass and very cold water makes swell generation nearly impossible. In fall the inverse occurs – warm water and cool dry air – very conducive to wave generation. It will likely be flat now until August. Pretty good early spring this year ; got out maybe 10 times. Fall is the ticket.

I timed a knee replacement to coincide with the end of the spring surf season – nailed it in fact. Did not miss a swell. In July we take a 10 day vacation on a lovely inland lake. I own a 21ft deep vee inboard powerboat – a real wake generator. I plan to do a lot of ski paddling and wake riding towed behind the boat – that should put me back in shape for the fall surf season.

Does Nova Scotia receive swell through the summer? Looks like a swell magnet to me.

Keep us posted – keep the forum alive!

Laker
    P.S. – Know anybody who would like a great deal on a Clyde Beatty WaveSkate???

Laker

Oops – Just realized that my inland lake /power boat pitch has already been made.

Oh well , I enjoyed daydreaming about it again.

Scooterboy

Laker; nice to hear from you as well.
    Yes, we get swell through the summer, but it usually relies heavily on a combination of bad offshore weather and a slight offshore breeze to reduce the chop. Like most ocean side places I guess.
    Typically fall winter is the best time around here. The water is warmest in fall, but the waves best in winter.
    I’d love a Waveskate, but can hardly justify another ski. I have a Wavemaster, two Woodyskis, and a G Force. My wife would beat me silly. And I wouldn’t blame her.
    Glad to hear that you had a really good spring. It’s a shame it flattens out so much.
    And it sounds like your knee is working out quite well.

I was down to the beach the other night with a buddy of mine, and it was dead flat.
    I spoke to a fellow with two homemade thick shortboards on the roof who looked very disappointed.
    It turns out he too surfs on the Great lakes and had ventured in our direction for a week long surf vacation to find it flat all week. I felt for him.
    If only he had been here a week earlier.
    Scooterboy

Laker

“You should have been here yesterday…”

cchuckj

Got my first real session of the season today.
    3-5ft W-SW swell with a little stacked period, giving some VERRRRRY nice shoulder to head high faces that closed pretty rapidly.
    Have to rave about my Infinity V bottom. It’s BLINDINGLY fast especially on the faces I encountered today. Even had a couple of surfers comment on the fun and speed factor. PNW at it’s best.

Surflineup

Here you go Charles… a blast from my past and perhaps your current Infinity Waveski. I did like your easy to adjust foot strap setup.

[attachment=1:3n0ct9tl]Charles Board.jpg[/attachment:3n0ct9tl]

It was a long drive to beach from Bellevue, but the scenery was great to view once I arrived at Westport, WA.
    [attachment=0:3n0ct9tl]Westport.jpg[/attachment:3n0ct9tl]

R/Surflineup

Laker

Nice surprise for me — couple of cold fronts rolled thru this week , producing rideable waves. 2-3 ft range , cool air/brilliant sun , water upper 60’s/low 70’s. Hours of fun surf in a shortjohn , really invigorating and liberating — first time(s) out since my knee job. Was not expecting surf till August. The knee went along like the one kid in the family who didn’t want to go to the beach but had no choice because he is too young to stay home alone. Didn’t want to participate , but had to put up with it.

BOY , am I glad I converted to waveski!

(Side note – no idea what the footstrap adjustment reference in previous post is about…)

Surflineup

My second to last picture showed Charles’ adjustable foot strap. He only uses one strap to accommodate both feet.

I liked the setup, because it provided multiple adjustments when ever the strap needed to be moved.

R/Surflineup

Laker

Charles who?

Surflineup

Here you go laker, = CChuckj

I was responding to his posting.

R/Surflineup

Laker

Copy.

Scooterboy

Laker; Nice to hear that the new knee isn’t putting up too much of a fight and that you got an early session in.
    The water has warmed up quite a bit here. I’m out in a 3/4 now.
    It was quite good at the local reef here last evening. Got quite a few rides in.
    I hope everyone has a good summer!
    Scooterboy in Nova Scotia

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.