Home Forum Surfing Tips Injury recovery?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  PicnicTables 3 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

PicnicTables

Only kind of a surfing tip I suppose but a week’s worth of nice waves just went by with me on the couch because I got a spinal injection on New Years eve (no dancing that night). My question, since it didn’t help, is – has anyone here ever used an inversion table for a back injury? I have a pretty good bulging disc at L4, sciatica and numb foot when standing. Docs like to try injection then cut it seems and I did not enjoy the injection and would prefer to pass on surgery if I can. I just want to surf..!

Sprint1

You need a left L5 injection x2 for your L4/5 disc and therapy with traction 3x week for 3-4 weeks. If no better then surgery. Good luck

FrankC

Been using inversion table to help with stenosis issues /sciatica
    Seems to help
    Surgery would be my last choice

PicnicTables

Thanks guys! Well turns out the injection did help, I just didn’t know what I was looking for, the sciatica is gone (but foot si still numb a little). Gonna try that inversion table and keep the PT going, I like their traction machine a lot. Hope to paddle this month..

ramon
    Participant

was the foot numbness related to the back injury?

PicnicTables

Yeah the Piniformis or something like that. So the shots did indeed get rid of the sciatica and the numbness I can deal with, since it was not freezing today (38 water/38 air!) out I went. Felt a twinge putting on my drysuit (!) but fuggit I went out and surfed for an hour. Sciatica is back but I’m hoping stretching and nsaids can tame it. You don’t know how much you miss something till you can’t do it! If I’m not in pain I’ll be back in that water tomorrow too!

PicnicTables

@picnictables wrote:

Yeah the Piniformis or something like that. So the shots did indeed get rid of the sciatica and the numbness I can deal with, since it was not freezing today (38 water/38 air!) out I went. Felt a twinge putting on my drysuit (!) but fuggit I went out and surfed for an hour. Sciatica is back but I’m hoping stretching and nsaids can tame it. You don’t know how much you miss something till you can’t do it! If I’m not in pain I’ll be back in that water tomorrow too!

but I was in pain the next day 😀 and the next week 🙁 and month 😳
    but I kept up with the inversion table, did a lot of cross country skiing and I think I’m good to go. The foot numbness was from the shots, which worked only temporarily. I had a torn meniscus at the same time, and still do, but the exercises they were giving me for one thing would hurt the other. So I bagged all of it and focussed on stretching. I’ve had friends who swear by surgery and others who had no luck.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.